"I’m talking about the equal importance of dance with the other arts, languages, mathematics, sciences and the humanities in the general education of every child." (Ken Robinson)
The above quote is taken from Sir Ken Robinson. A man who I have only recently been educated on, but nevertheless, someone who I now consider to be a leader in the way of understanding the importance of creativity in a child's development, but maybe more so, the role of which creativity plays within education. Robinson was a strong believer that the arts and humanities were well deserving of a place within education and that schools often have too strong a focus on STEM subjects, consequently undervaluing the creativity a child receives from studying the arts. However what I found crucial to discover was that Robinson certainly didn't appear to be claiming that the frequency and intensity of subjects such as English and Maths should be classified as unimportant, but rather just that subjects such as dance should be taught in an equal system.
After reading various pieces of literature regarding Robinson, it got me thinking even more so about the value of dance on the curriculum and whether I was being biased to believe it was deserving of a place due to my background and love for dance, or whether in fact my opinion was shared by others. Of course this opened a whole new can of worms for where my research proposal would take me but I love how interesting this topic is for me and how it can hopefully help to shape my future career plans.
I'd love to know if others have ended up stumbling upon an educationalist who they weren't so familiar with at the beginning of this module, who has resulted in impacting their research?
Comments
Post a Comment