Skip to main content

Areas of Learning

 Following on from our last discussion, I have been thinking a lot about my areas of learning I wish to discuss in my essay. I am yet to finalise my three areas, though our discussion has opened up a lot more room for thought for me. 

The term vulnerability was mentioned a few times times during the dicussion and this is something I thought deeper about and it led me to think about the ethics of the arts based on my own life experiences. I have danced around the idea (excuse the pun) of pressure within our industry, which leads to vunerability. I would like to explore whether the pressure I have felt throughout my career has been self pressure or external pressure. I don't know if this is something anyone else has come across? I would like to identify if this is dependable on personal experiences and our own personalities, or if it is part and parcel of the job and the performing world we sign up to. 

I have a couple of other thoughts to where my areas of learning may take me, but for now I am going to unpick this one a little more as it is something which has been quite substantial in my practice. I would love to know if this is something which is relatable to anyone else or if you can share your thoughts on the matter...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Academic Writing Sessions and New Terminology

 The past two sessions we have had on Academic Writing have been a great learning curve for me. I have always enjoyed English Literature and getting lost in a book and I am happy to sit and write blogs and stories in almost a poetic manner, however there is something slightly daunting about writing an essay to a tick box academic format, when coming from a creative industry where we express our words through movement.  Free writing was something which resonated with me as I feel this is something I do naturally when writing. I am not a 'planner' and much prefer to sit with a blank page and see where my mind takes me rather than to bullet point and notate beforehand. I realise this isn't always the best method as it can be crucial to plan, but I think that free writing would be a great tool for me to use as a form of planning, to see where my essay will start to take me.  The SQ3R method Peter talked us through was also very insightful. For example, I realised when scannin...

Reflective Writing & Ending Module One

As we come to the end of the first term in Module 1, I have spent some time tweaking my assignment and really trying to pin point my areas of learning within my practice. I assumed I would be struggling to have enough content, but it seems the opposite and I have been scouring through word by word trying to erase 500 words in order to adhere to the word count guidelines. Once I started utilising sources I found it opened a whole new chapter of thoughts within my mind and before I knew it I was once again unravelling new ideas and contemplating other points of views to my initial beliefs.  It has not been an easy process, I have felt out of touch within Academia and have questioned if I am conforming to the technicalities of a 'correct essay structure', however Sam reminded me it is a reflective essay and therefore I am able to express my opinion, as it is based on my own experiences. This definitely helped to shape my essay and led me in the direction of which my thoughts wante...

Reflection and Practice...

Hello all fellow BAPPS. I am sat here writing this blog the morning after our first real study session and if I'm honest, I'm probably more confused about what direction this module will take me, than I was before yesterday. After having my first supervision zoom, I thought I had quite a strong idea of what my analysis would be within my essay, however now I realise, just like the classic onion metaphor, there are many layers to peel before I get to the core of what my essay structure will be. There's a part of me (albeit small) that wants to sit here and write my essay right now, put pen to paper and fill it with everything I thought I should be including, before I get too deep and loose my sanity over it all!  However the more sensible part of me knows I need to get a bit deep, I need to really delve in to the nitty gritty of my practice and understand what skills it has taught me and why.  Whenever I have been to a 'muggle' interview, I have always felt the need ...